Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Moral Law vs. Written Law


In the play Antigone, contrasts two types of law, moral law versus written law on issues concerning religion. These two laws are well represented in the play by Creon and Antigone. Creon who strongly believes and follows wirtten law. Creon punishes Polyneices for attacking Thebes as being traitor of the land and should not be given burial rights. Creon is very powerful and strong ruler with enormous ego and high self-esteem. On the other hand, Antigone is a firm believer in moral law. She was willing to sacrifice her life for her religious value of burying her brother Polyneices. Antigone states to Creon "These are the laws whose penalties I would not incur from the gods, through fear of any man's temper" (Antigone 502-503). Antigone is determined to make sure that her brother deserves proper burial by reminding him of the divine laws of God. Antigone doesn't show her respect to Creon because they both have different beliefs in law.
Antigone clearly states "for myself I myself will bury him. It will be good to die, so doing. I shall lie by his side, loving him as he loved me; I shall be a criminal, but a religious one" (Antigone, 82-85). Antigone loves her brother and is highly confident about her decision to bury her brother. She’s doing this to be fulfill a religious action. Antigone is pleasing god by stating “I know I am pleasing those I should the most” (Antigone, 103). Antigone is pleasing a God It’s a part of her religion to give the dead a burial. This quote shows that she believes in moral law, concerning religion. Antigone fights for the unjust law in which she believes her bother Polyneice shouldn't be buried.
Creon states "he shall be buried in his grave with every rite of sanctity given to heroes under dearth. However, his brother, Polyneices, a returned exile, who sought to burn with fire from top to bottom his native city, and the gods of his own people" (Creon 215-219). Creon believes that the actions he had taken were in fact the right ones. Creon believed that Polyneices was a traitor to the land, and that anyone who should give him a proper burial would suffer the penalty of death. Creon also states " I here proclaim to the city that this man shall no one honor with a grave and none shall mourn. You shall leave him without burial; you shall watch him chewed up by birds and dogs and violated" (Creon 222-225). Creon believed that in order to receive greater respect from your people, you must inflict fear. Creon plays his role as he has such high power. Creon is just a man but he thinks that he had the same power as the Gods.
Antigone stand up for what she believed and I would do what Antigone have done when I was in that position. No matter what price she has to pay for it she does everything to protect her family. Antigone believes highly in obeying, especially when it deals with her family. Antigone goes up against written law by Creon, by burying her brother Polyneices, knowing well that she will have to sacrifice her own life. Antigone leaved her legacy towards her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment